Tuesday, January 25, 2011

fishy india

India is probably the most beautiful place I have ever been. I think about a week ago we boarded a bus for an 8 hour journey to a Hill Station called Ooty. I was in awe the entire ride, the scenery changed every few minutes from bustling city to jungle to rivers to palm trees to forests to hills and valleys and mountains. We stayed in Ooty for three days, met some other travellers to spend time with, and did an 18 km trek through the hills and tea plantations. It was absolutely breath-taking. We then headed to a place on the coast called Fort Cochin, which was nice but very touristy. It is a fishing town so at night we would go to the beach and pick out a fish for dinner, and then take it to a restaurant to grill it for us. Probably the tastiest fish I have ever eaten.

Yesterday we arrived here in Allepey, a smallish town on the backwaters. They call it the "Venice of India". I'm not sure if I'd go that far but it is nice, we went to the beach last night to watch the sunset and have dinner. Today we hired a local man to take us in his canoe along the small canals. It was so neat, paddling by little villages along the water, seeing the children paddle to school on their canoes. We stopped for lunch along the way and had Thali on a banana leaf, and of course, more fish.

No comments: